Thursday, October 1, 2009

what is 301 reditect and how will it work?

So ablazewithtraffic.com is trying something called 301 redirect for about 23 of our URLs

what is a 301 redirect. The quick version is it is a germinate search engine friendly way to move a URL or page.


Why would you use it?

It is simple if you just park a URL it is now looked at like duplicate content no search engine likes this.

a 301 is the White hat way of pointing a URL some where else.

What are the benefits?

Its not real logical to ask every one linking to you to change the link
also its not easy to regain the Page rank or search engine love for the page

301 will do both to some degree google has no clear dry answer that I found but by all accounts this is the most accepted way ( not Spam)

To test one of my 301 redirects try http://www.eastbaydodge.com
Today is October 1,2009 and I have all sites 301 redirecting with in 4 hours of set up.

I will update all the results as they occur
I am hoping for my PR rank to move up 1 or 2 spots and there to be 100 or so more links to my main site, I am checking with alexa and other sites for results

No comments:

Post a Comment